Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After you have suffered a water damage you can become overwhelmed with the situation at hand. Here are just a few tips to help you until SERVPRO of Sherman/Denison arrives on site.
- If possible shut off the water source.
- Mop up any excess water.
- Stay away from electrical outlets in the affected rooms.
- Remove contents from closets or storage areas.
- Be careful when walking from wet carpet to either hard wood flooring or tile as they can be "slip and fall" hazards.
- Please do not use your regular vacuum to attempt to remove water.
- Remove important documents or books from the wet areas.
- Don't panic help is on the way!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (903) 893-7166
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.